Looking for annual dog vaccinations? Ensure that your new pooch receives a good start to their life through a full set of vaccinations.
Dog vaccinations are essential for protecting your best friend’s health from dangerous and potentially fatal diseases.
Getting a new dog is exciting and for the most part they seem to only need love, affection and food.
It would be great if this were enough to keep them free from disease and sickness. Tragically it isn’t. Much the same as children, animal babies likewise need inoculation when they are young.
A puppy isn’t naturally safe from ailments and diseases without the help of vaccinations. They do have some antibody security that they got through the mother’s blood using the placenta, yet this is generally just 10%. The other 90% is through the primary milk they take in from their mother.
It is quite likely that high levels of antibodies will block the effectiveness of a vaccine and vets, therefore, recommend multiple rounds of vaccinations. It is recommended that puppies are vaccinated for the first time at around 6 weeks of age. However, the first Rabies vaccination can only be given when the puppy is 3 months of age.
Why Annual Dog Vaccinations & Which Ones Do They Need?
Going to the vet repeatedly over several months for vaccinations, and then for boosters or titers throughout your dog’s life, may seem like an inconvenience, but the diseases that vaccinations will shield our pets from are dangerous but thankfully, mostly preventable.
There are numerous different dog vaccinations, for so many different illnesses. It can sometimes be confusing to know which annual dog vaccinations puppies need and which ones are important but optional. Here is an overview of the diseases that vaccinations will help your pet to avoid.
Annual Dog Vaccinations
Distemper: This is a highly contagious viral disease that affects a dog’s respiratory tract (lungs), gastrointestinal tract (gut) and nervous system (brain). It can be airborne or spread through contact with an infected animal.
Infectious canine hepatitis (adenovirus): This is a viral disease spread by contact with infected animals, their stools, urine or saliva. It affects the liver, kidneys and cells lining the blood vessels.
Parvovirus (also known as Cat Flu): This is a very common viral disease that is deadly and usually strikes young puppies. It spreads by infected dogs’ blood, stools or vomit.
Parainfluenza: This is another infectious viral disease that can be one of the causes of “kennel cough”. It affects the respiratory tract and spreads quickly among dogs close to one another.
Rabies: This viral infection affects the central nervous system and can result in paralysis or death. It is important to note that rabies is fatal in animals which is why this vaccination is so crucial for your puppy’s health.